Tuesday, November 16, 2010

November sun

I am likely jinxing myself by saying this but it's the truth -- to date, November in Ontario has been mild and sunny. And I am LOVING it.

November, my father's birthday notwithstanding, is my least favourite month. Remembrance Day is a sad occasion. It's cold and the snow starts. And to quote The Mamas and the Papas: "All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey...". Canadian Thanksgiving is in October (thanks to the earlier harvest) so there's not much to brighten this month. Even the Church encourages us to pray for the dead during this gloomy, gloomy 30 days. February is also gloomy, but it's snowy and our city embraces the cold, having a 3 week long festival. Plus, it's a short month and warm weather is around the corner. With November - the warmth is AGES away.

But this year, we've been so fortunate. I have been basking in the sunny, mild(ish) days. Taking the opportunity to go outside and to sun my diapers. I imagine that this good fortune won't last but I really do appreciate it. I feel like I missed summer this year, what with the extreme heat and the modified bed rest at the end of my pregnancy. These fall days have been great. Let's hope that they last a bit longer!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, November. My research assistant and I were just talking about that yesterday - November is the worst in Vancouver because it's cold and rainy and the days are really short, yet still getting shorter. December's the same weather- and daylight-wise, but at least you have the holidays, with all the parties and food! And by January, days start getting longer and it warms up!

    Glad you are getting some sunshine this November!

    ReplyDelete