Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Christmas Shopping - Have you started yet?

I just got off the phone with my mother-in-law, and she asked me the question in the title of this post - have I started Christmas shopping yet?

The answer is yes, but not in earnest.

I am a nerd for picking up Christmas gifts throughout the year. For the last few years, I have had everything done by the end of November at the latest. I used to let it go later, though. When I was in University, I'd have finals right up until the 19th or 20th. I'd have to clear out of residence 24 hours after my last final, so my father would pick me up and we'd head to the mall during a work day. He was always astounded at my efficiency; I'd be done shopping for 20+ people within 3 hours!

This year, I continued my nerdliness. When we went to Vermont in July, I found some AMAZING deals on children's clothes, so picked up both birthday and Christmas gifts for my younger cousins, my youngest niece, and many of the children of friends. I also nabbed a few things for my inlaws. My older cousins get cash. My Nonna (who turns 80 on Christmas Day) is IMPOSSIBLE to buy for; this year, we are all chipping in to get her digital cable and paying her cable fees so that she can watch RAI. In addition, I usually get her gift certificates to stores at which she shops and Dave buys her booze (a tradition from when we first started dating). My parents - the people who have everything AND have late fall birthdays - are also a challenge. Charitable donations, perhaps?

I figure that I put my head down and finish up the shopping over the next few weeks. Is it wrong, though, that we aren't getting Teddy much? It's not like he'll remember this Christmas! I picked up a 'Sand and Water Table' for a song during the summer clearance, so I think we'll be 'giving' him that.

Have you started your shopping? If so - how far along are you? If not - when do you usually start.

1 comment:

  1. We were just talking about this at work today - one of my coworkers pointed out that it's just six weeks 'til Christmas! I haven't done any shopping yet, although I just realized that I can actually put up a Christmas tree this year! (I was away for Christmas the past two years and too poor to buy a tree the year before that).

    What is RAI?

    ReplyDelete